From the time he was a young boy roaming the forests of the unsettled Midwest, Abraham Lincoln knew in his heart that slavery was deeply wrong.
A voracious reader, Lincoln spent every spare moment of his days filling his mind with knowledge, from history to literature to mathematics, preparing himself to one day lead the country he loved towards greater equality and prosperity.
Despite the obstacles he faced as a self-educated man from the back woods, Lincoln persevered in his political career, and his compassion and honesty gradually earned him the trust of many Americans.
As president, he guided the nation through a long and bitter civil war and penned the document that would lead to the end of slavery in the United States.
The passion for humanity that defined Lincoln’s life shines through in this momentous follow-up to Martin’s Big Words and John’s Secret Dreams. Told in Doreen Rappaport’s accessible, absorbing prose, and brought to life in powerful illustrations by Kadir Nelson, Abe’s Honest Words is an epic portrait of a truly great American president.
- By: Drew DaywaltIllustrated By: Matt Myers
- By: Cavan Scott, Tom Huddleston
- By: Marie Eden
- By: Emma Carlson Berne
- By: Bob Shea
- By: Kallie George
- By: Kelly DiPucchioIllustrated By: Brian Biggs
- By: Alex Hirsch, Rob RenzettiIllustrated By: Stephanie Ramirez
- By: Luke Reynolds, Rhode Montijo
- By: Brandon T. Snider
- By: Steve Behling
- By: Ntozake ShangeIllustrated By: Edel Rodriguez
- By: Louise SimonsonIllustrated By: Walter Simonson