Let’s face it. These days, many of the world’s most beloved places have become expensive and overcrowded, making their celebrated allure that much harder to enjoy. But fear not: Here Not There helps you create a more robust, off-the-beaten path vacation by revealing 100 alternative destinations to the standard travel playbook – as well as expert tips on when to visit, where to eat, what to see, and where to stay.
In this beautifully illustrated guide, you’ll find smart and surprising itinerary recommendations for new destinations including:
· A trip to Quito, Ecuador instead of Lima, Peru for iconic architecture and top-notch South American cuisine.
· A road trip along West Virginia’s byways instead of New England’s highways for brilliant autumn colors.
· A romantic rendezvous to Lecce, Italy, instead of mega-touristed Florence for art, wine, and artifacts.
· A hiking excursion in Chile’s Lake District instead of England’s for an unexpected natural wonder.
· A theater-infused visit to Cleveland, Ohio, where the performances match the levels of New York City’s Broadway
· A tour of Portugal’s Azores, rather than the Hawaiian islands ,for flora, fauna, and underwater adventures
· A water-filled excursion through New York’s Thousand Islands instead of a cruise down Germany’s Rhine River
· A trip to Detroit to find Art Deco skyscrapers (and even a beach in Motown) that rival those of Miami.
Both surprising and inspiring, Here Not There offers readers a chance to think beyond our typical borders and discover undreamt of destinations.